- Quality Modern Orthodox schooling and Yeshivot that feature tuition under $10,000
- Beautiful and very affordable housing
- Two mikvaot in town, including a shabbat mikvah within walking distance
- Extensive community eruv
- Numerous Jewish institutions in the greater Detroit community, including multiple schools, shuls, and kollelim
- Supportive Jewish Federation which is in the top 5 in the country
- Great Shabbat programming for children and adults
- Kosher bakeries, stores and restaurants
- Two Jewish community centers with a modern health clubs, learning and sports programs
- Free first-year membership for newlyweds, and reduced first-year membership for other new members
- Interest-free loans to facilitate acquisition or refurbishment of an area home
- Free one-year subscription to The Jewish News
- The YIS community
oung Israel of Southfield (YIS) is located centrally in Southfield, MI. Located in Oakland County, with easy access to most metro area expressways, Southfield offers both a cosmopolitan, culturally-diverse residential population of more than 78,000 residents and a thriving international business community. Residents and businesses alike come to Southfield for its excellent city services and easy access to all of southeastern Michigan.
YIS is located in a Modern Orthodox neighborhood. The area features a beautiful new women’s shabbos Mikveh within walking distance as well as a local daily Mikveh for women, men and Keylim. YIS is within a mile of Yeshivat Akiva, our Modern Orthodox Day School and Yeshiva Darchei Torah. Also in Southfield are Yeshiva Beth Yehuda, P’tach Michigan Chapter Inc, and Meer Early Childhood Center. YIS offers numerous learning and social opportunities for men, women and children of all ages throughout the year, including exceptional weekly shiurim and lectures.
The YIS community is warm, welcoming and growing. Over the past three years families from Manhattan, Queens, West Hempstead, NY, Englewood, NJ, Elizabeth, NJ, and Omaha have joined our community.
Beyond the Jewish life in the region, the Southfield area is in close proximity to:
- The Detroit Zoo
- Cranbrook Institute of Arts & Science
- Henry Ford Museum
- Greenfield Village
- The Detroit Institute of Art
- Jewish Ensemble Theatre
- Fisher Theatre
- Fox Theater
- Comerica Park (Detroit Tigers)
- Palace of Auburn Hills(Detroit Pistons)
- Ford Field (Detroit Lions)
- Joe Louis Arena (Detroit Red Wings)
- Detroit Opera House
- Detroit Symphony Orchestra
Our homes are open to anybody who’d like to visit. We can accommodate families with children of all ages and are eager to welcome new members into our community. Please contact us to make arrangements for a Shabbat that fits your schedule. We will help you visit the school(s) of your choice that weekend, find you a realtor, and assist with transportation to any job interview that can be arranged (as well as do what we can to help arrange them!). We look forward to welcoming you to our family!